Originally Posted by poorboy
I'd start with verifying the gauge isn't lying about the oil pressure being low. Use a real mechanical gauge. If it really is low, I'd probably try thicker oil and see what that did for it. The next step would be a compression test, and maybe a leak down test. I guess I'd really want to know what condition the motor is in. If the compression and leak down tell you the motor is pretty sound, I'd roll in the rod & main bearings, new oil pump, and a pan gasket, and maybe that timing chain and gears.

If it fails muster on the real oil pressure test and fails on the compression test, save your money for a reman motor, and then drive this one until it retires itself. I've seen low oil pressure Ford motors run a long time without issues. Gene

And what Kevin said too:

I'd start with verifying the gauge isn't lying about the oil pressure being low. Use a real mechanical gauge.

That said as before Mike just run it if it blows then deal with it i ran a 351 with a rist pin knock and low oil pressure for 40,000 miles and if you need I have a 460 here

I replace my oil pressure sending unit every time I start getting low oil pressure gauge readings and it immediately jumps back up into the mid to high range on the gauge. I have an '85 E350 with a 6.9 liter (420) diesel that I have driven since new in '85 with over 400K miles. Just changed the fuel injectors, fuel return lines, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, and going to change the oil pressure sending unit just for that reason even though the pressure gauge is reading within normal range but gets so much better (looking on the gauge wink that it makes me feel good grin I don't know if it's because of the diesel oil condition from soot (?) that the sending unit starts to read lower as time goes by but it sure makes a difference with a new unit??

Agree with checking the oil pressure (and replacing the oil pressure sending unit) first before I did anything else.

Mike if you need any body sheet metal check out Mill Supply they are near by and some of the sheet metal is still being stamped out in Cleveland near you up

MileR

NICE OLD TRUCK THERE Mike I really like it up...........................even though it's a FORD..... laugh2 wink

Resized_20180405_192741_8433a.jpg