Originally Posted by madmachinist

...Ok, I'm following your line of thinking. I'm pretty sure if I was looking for a cam for that head it would be on a 109 LSA. Not because that's magic, but because if the cam grinder knows what he is doing, the opening and closing points will come out at that point...

Here are the specific cam timing points (INTAKE OPEN BTDC-INTAKE CLOSE ABDC-EXHAUST OPEN BBDC-EXHAUST CLOSE ATDC):

HUGHES
HE3844AL, 0.536/0.540, 237/244, 286/290, 108LSA, 13-44-53-11

COMP CAMS
CRS 13084B/3039B, 0.584/0.581, 240/248, 290/300, 112LSA, 12-48-60-8

So the new cam has an INTAKE closing point 4 deg later as compared to the current hydraulic flat tappet I am running. However, I am already going from a blueprinted 10.5:1 static CR to 11:1, idea being that the wider LSA will not allow the motor to build that cranking PSI at lower RPM, so attempting to make up for that loss.

Originally Posted by madmachinist
...It's as Grumpy Jenkins said a nebulous thing to describe and even worse to try and get fixed. How the engine takes the throttle under various conditions, loads and throttle positions can be a nightmare. I know the current trend is to blow the LSA out and throw some exhaust duration at it to keep the RPM where you want to shift at the same. I'd rather run a bit more duration, and change the timing events to close the LSA up. You'll be surprised how much you lose in the middle with the former as opposed to the latter.

Hope my rambling doesn't bore you. It's just what I've found doing this for awhile. It doesn't follow current convention, but I've never bought into the hype of wide LSA's just to try and get an idle like a 125 HP Toyota engine. If you can get the timing curve and fuel curve, you can get a fairly radical cam to idle quite nice.

No, this is far from being boring, I love this type of discussion, very specific (thank you for sharing the cam specs you tried over the years).

Something I did not mention so far is that the car uses power brakes and I must retain them. The dual chamber pb booster helps, never had any issues with my current cam and that is pulling 5-7" @ 800-850 idle RPM. The roller profile is more agressive, so the 112LSA should balance it out a tad.

All in all, your point about cutting corners is very good. I realize this may not be an optimal solution but it is a roller starting point for me and I am therefore thinking (as with all my previous changes) a bit of a test-bed.