Hey guys, thanks for looking.. this has prolly been asked a million times, right?

My brother loved track racing his bone stock '68 RR last year and is coming back this year for more... I've got a European sports car I track race, so I'm all set.. but I'm helping guide him in his first basic steps to improve..

This is a 2.1mile road course with 18 turns and 450ft elevation change. Lots of braking and turning. I don't know his budget, but I know he has limited time to install the improvements before track day (his RR is in storage til two days before track day.."What Could Possibly Go Wrong?".. rolleyes ).

Please share your thoughts on the following "low hanging fruit" to improve his RR, I think it's basic enough to be pretty solid, but running it by you Mopar guys in case I'm missing something...

Not looking for "Full on" racecar, just some good incremental improvements that won't degrade street-ability too much.

1. Tires. Currently 14" street radials.
- Buy a new set of 15" steel rims, he has decided on a set of grippier Cooper tires.

2. Brakes. Currently stock drums, manual.
- He'd like to go with front discs, but with limited time to install and troubleshoot, I suggested a shop that offers high-perf linings for existing drum shoes. We can swap them in quickly. It'll put more heat to the drums, but willing to try it out.... See how it goes.

3. Suspension. Stock torsion and new OEM rear leaf springs.
- So far, just a slightly stiffer front sway to reduce oversteer. He's found a front sway he likes from Hotchkis (I like the FirmFeel front & rears on my '65. We each have our druthers).

4. Shocks. No idea what he has now, but definitely plain street spec.
- I'm going to suggest he go with stiffer shocks, but I have no experience sourcing or spec'ing anything (I upgraded my '65 to Monroe GasMatics fronts and I forget what I put on the back, but they were yellow Monroes, a little stiffer). Any suggestions? I found Koni has a search function that lists some shocks for the RR.

5. Seating. Stock bench seat.
- We get thrown around a lot. I'm not sure what will help without changing out the bench. Are there belts that will hold us in better, that bolt in?

Am I steering him OK? Anything else that might be easy, quick and reliable?

Thank you,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 01/11/19 07:24 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle