Quote:

OK, everywhere I look I see shims being placed on the pinion itself. I would much prefer punching out the race and doing it that way but I'm kind of confused based on the size of the shims...

When I rebuilt my 8.25 there were no shims between the bearing and the pinion and there were (3) between the race and the case. The master kit I got also had shims for the pinion. I lucked out and two of the ones behind the race got mine pinion where it needed to be so I never had to go looking for the larger shims.

BTW, I mocked up mine with some gauge blocks and a drop indicator to set it for the depth engraved onto the end of the new pinion. I was within 0.002" and when I put it together the pattern was perfect. Also, a lot of pinions will have another number engraved onto the bottom like +.004 or -.002. If the existing one has a similar number you take the difference and adjust the shim pack by that much and you will be where you need to be.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/