Originally Posted By Transman
Based on some feedback so far all the stock eliminator cars using merge collectors are wasting their time. Same with all the guys that went from simple belt driven water pumps to electric, dropping the mechanical pump, spool, etc.

Last time I ran an engine on the dyno just going from no collector extension to a longer one picked up 18 lbs. ft.

Sounds like all these “improvements” only lighten up one’s wallet.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I asked about the collectors because I think there is way more to it than just the merge collector. Calvin Elston has written on this a bunch.

It's more of a thought process that actually starts with the intake tract and works its way to the collector. It's all about making the intake more efficient by using a smaller exhaust valve and working your way out. The smaller exhaust allows for a bigger intake. Then you have to engineer your way back out, including cam timing, to the header pipe (which he says should be the exact size and shape of the port) then out to the collector.

It's as much an art as it is a science when you are working with the exhaust side of the engine.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston