Originally Posted By BcudaChris
Dang! the original water valve started leaking sometime during the Clinton administration and the replacement xref was the brass thing I just pulled off of there. Add that valve to the list other take off parts I chunked as useless back in the day that are now worth $$$ or are good for cannibalism.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I need to swap that whole cam/lever assembly that the roll pin in the valve slides in in favor of the one from the correct valve, not just the pin/lever that the actually cable attaches to??

Eyes now open for one of those pivot lever/cam things, if not a whole parts valve. Looking at the interweb pictures available, they must all be stock photos or I just can't see the differences in the lever.

Thanks

It is possible to swap the whole top end of the valve, lever and all, but I wouldn't advise that. Many of the used ones have already cracked or will crack when trying to remove. They've been sitting under a hood in and out of operating temp for 30-40 years. Might be difficult to reseal gasket properly as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MoPar-1970-1971-1972-1973-1974-Cuda-Challenger-Water-Valve-A-C-Charger-RR/401372236055?epid=1011257503&hash=item5d73a64917:g:2VUAAOxyjP1R24ii

Here is a link to a correct unit on EBay. One of the photos has a great shot of the "peened" or flattened end of the pin that need to be removed.

Only the pivot lever needs to be swapped. With a Dremel, carefully remove just enough material from the flattened end of that pin to slide it out of the valve.

The pivot lever can now be removed, Do the same with the other valve and swap the old lever on the new valve. With a pair of vice-grips, re-crimp the pin on the new assembly so that it won't back out.

Last edited by 340clone; 09/25/18 07:53 PM.