On the Lower Anterior Descending artery, it IS the first swing that puts you in the ground. And judging by the anecdotal evidence in the above posts, it seems like a very common blockage.

Several years ago I nearly died from congestive heart failure. My ejection fraction was less than 20%. Ejection fraction is the volumetric efficiency of the left ventricle, volume out over total volume.

My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine, heart rhythm controllers, and a statin. Within a few weeks of taking the statin my cholesterol level had dropped to around 140. I recuperated under the watchful thumb of my wife and within six months my fraction had improved to slightly over 50%. Doctor discontinued the blood thinners, thank God. Now I could eat broccoli again!

I had had a cardiac catheterization before my recovery and cardiologist saw nothing to worry about. Four or so years later my heart was throwing irregular beats and cardiologist finally decided to do a stress test. Then I did a scan like a CAT scan and the doctor showed me that one area of my heart wasn't moving very well. It's pretty weird when your doctor can show you video of your beating heart.

He ordered another cardiac cath and my LAD was blocked to an opening about 1/64th of an inch. He put in a stent and I am about fine again, although my fraction is around 44% now and I get tired more easily.

My point is in a few years I grew a blockage while my cholesterol was well into the acceptable range. It isn't just cholesterol! What angered me while in recuperation fr0om the CHF, all the advice came down to lower your cholesterol. After my blockage the advice boiled down to lower your cholesterol. It was already low!

Thanks for letting me rant. I am glad that the LAD didn't claim another victim, or two or three.

May God bless us with sufficient years to unscramble our junk for the estate sale!

R