MoJoe,

I believe You are referring to the 'tremclad' method originally posted here on moparts. Ive painted multiple vehicles this way. You use Rust-Oleum oil based enamel from the hardware store, thin it just right with mineral spirits, then use a 6" foam roller and start rollin the paint on. You have to do a minimum 2 coats for every step of wet sanding. For example I sanded my Polara down to 600, rolled on a couple coats, waited 48 hours minimum, sanded with 800, 2 coats, 1000, 2 coats, 1500, 2 coats, 1800. Then cut and polish, buff. It takes a couples weeks for me Im sure others do it much faster Im just slow and OCD.

I'm not doing the roller method anymore, I want to try spraying. I was looking for a cheap and entry level base-coat/clear-coat when I found this product line from Rust-Oleum. I did a little research and besides the painters who automatically say negative things when they hear the word rustoleum, there was pretty good feedback especially from amateurs which i paid most attention to. People who actually spent some 'warm up' time practicing and playing around with pattern and dry time etc said they got really good results (for $18 a quart paint.)

Im looking forward to trying it out