Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By RapidusMaximus
To keep it racing related...if I knew then what I know now in 1985 I WOULD NOT sell a 68 Super Bee, give the 3500 I got for it, wheels, tires, and a 70 model Duster body to a place called Custom Auto Works in Waxahachie, TX to build me a Super Gas Car...who then approx. 3 months later closed their doors, went out of business, disappeared with my money, car, tires and wheels...it was a year long nightmare hunting the owner down...but I found him... smoke

Can we hear more of this story?!

It could be a whole thread by itself, but briefly...I was really hot to run Super Gas in a well built full chassis Duster, found a really clean 70 Duster rolling shell, sold my 68 Bee, bought wheels and tires and headed to a race car shop in Arlington called Paul Peyton's race cars, I had used them before and had good luck...well they were over booked and down to one employee at the time so they told me about this "other shop" but didn't know much about it. So...I drove out there met the guys, nice shop, lots of cars in work...sweet, made a deal to bring the Duster back the next weekend, they wanted a 3500 deposit to get started and I left my wheels and tires there for fitment purposes. Everything seemed to be going off without a hitch until I got a call late one night from an employee telling me that he just overheard the owner trying to sell my wheels and tires and that I should come see what's going on??? So...the following Saturday morning I made the 3 hour drive out there to find the shop locked up, nobody around anywhere...neighbor saw me looking in the windows and told me they had moved everything in the middle of the night 2 days prior...gone....vanished...no contact info, no forwarding address, no new business location...took me about a year to find him through 1985 type PI investigation, by then he had filed bankruptcy...my money, Duster body, and wheels and tires were never found, in the end only thing I got to do was clean out his storage building which contained a set of Chevy bolt pattern 14" wide rear wheels and tires and a welded together Chevy Vega ladder bar, strut chassis that was bare and this was after I showed up at his new job making threats that could have gotten me thrown in jail. I think I got 1500 for everything I carried off that day...without a doubt the worst deal I ever got into....

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD