Originally Posted By rickseeman
Originally Posted By Black 69 Beeper
Thing is I just want a fairly stock 383. Its a 4 speed, factory exhaust manifolds, and I have to run the factory intake to clear the air grabber. I'm not looking for a speed demon. All I wanted was a 383-4 speed-3:55 posi car. original equipment.

Seems like most everyone on this board isn't listening to you. They all want you to build a $12,000 aluminum head stroker motor. (I like those too.) Your build should cost almost nothing. I can't believe you can't find a complete running 383 for what you paid to tear your motor down. Used 383 rods are free. People throw them outside. 906 heads are nearly free. Might cost a 2 digit number. What you are wanting to build can be done for a little of nothing if you find some good ole Mopar boys that have had that garbage sitting around forever and know they are never going to use it. And from looking at the stage your car is in it looks like you have some time to shop for bargains. Happy hunting.

You are correct that 906 heads are cheap and 383 rods are often free. I've thrown away boxes of 383 rods so if someone was standing next to the dumpster I would've gladly handed them the rods if they wanted them. I just gave away a 400 cast crank the other day and probably have another one in the shop that I'd give away. So sure, someone could show up at my shop with $500 and drive away with rods, crank, block and heads to build a 383.

But somehow I don't think that is the point of the thread. If the guy who bought all of my throw away parts takes them to a race engine builder who is swamped with work the story doesn't end well. Nobody who builds race engines for a living wants to mess around with a bunch of 50 year old parts that a guy drags in. Especially if the engine builder has a wait list 30 guys deep who want drag race or circle track engines ready for spring. It just isn't going to happen.

Now maybe the OP can find an older guy in the back of the local NAPA store who operates at a slower pace and doesn't mind futzing around rebuilding 383 rods and putting new seats in some old 906 heads. Those guys are around but you have to search a little bit to find them.

Best advice I have is that if someone wants a stock rebuild type of engine and they want it done right for very little money then they need to ask around at some local car clubs for a name. There are retired guys out there who don't mind working for $20 an hour putting together old engines. But I don't think you're going to find cheap labor at a busy race shop. You are either going to get a high quote, or no quote at all.