So whats the going rate to build a mild 383 big block? Its been a few years since I've had to have an engine done and honest dam near fell over when I was told 8k plus to do a mild dyno run 383 for my road runner. First a little back round, my motor was in the car and I knew nothing about it. I took it to an engine shop and had it disassembled and the block and heads checked. Turns out one of the rods was bent and the one 906 head was cracked. The thought was to get a 440 Source stroker kit ($2300)I was $493 into the disassembly and having the block and heads checked. block is fine and 40 over. So my next question was how much for the motor with the stroker kit assembled and dynoed. Mind you I need to find heads to replace the bad ones I had.
I was told $7800 without the cost of the replacement heads and I still needed to get a new oil pan, water pump, starter, etc. which would put me well into the 9k price range if not 10K. Is this where the hobby is at now. The last engine I had done was a 68 steel crank 440 11-1 and it was awesome for 5k. Just wondering options. I'm beside myself on this.

thumbnail_IMG_1694.jpg