Originally Posted By Crizila
Originally Posted By davenc
Originally Posted By Crizila
Originally Posted By davenc

Are projected tip plugs more prone to detonation, as compared to the equivalent non-projected tip plug?
All else being equal, Yes!

OK, this is the first voice with a clear contrary position. Can you share your thoughts on this? Do you think the projected tip is hotter than a standard plug and can act like a hot spot (that was my original thought)?

No matter what the heat range numbers say for a particular plug ( or comparing different brands of plugs), the farther the porcelain and tip is from the plug housing, the hotter it is going to run.

That was sort of what I was thinking but then I realized I didn't know the details of the heat rating of a plug. Does it represent the temperature at the electrode? If so, then equivalent plugs would have the same temperature (although it would be located in a different spot in the chamber). If the rating represents the temperature at the porcelain at the body of the plug (where the actual control point is) then the tips would clearly be different temperatures. Any one know what portion of the plug the heat rating is based on?