Originally Posted By davenc
Originally Posted By Crizila
Originally Posted By davenc

Are projected tip plugs more prone to detonation, as compared to the equivalent non-projected tip plug?
All else being equal, Yes!

OK, this is the first voice with a clear contrary position. Can you share your thoughts on this? Do you think the projected tip is hotter than a standard plug and can act like a hot spot (that was my original thought)?

No matter what the heat range numbers say for a particular plug ( or comparing different brands of plugs), the farther the porcelain and tip is from the plug housing, the hotter it is going to run. The hotter it runs, the more prone to detonation it is going to be. Just because you can't hear it or see aluminum flecks on stuff, or melted ground straps, etc, doesn't mean your engine isn't running in some degree of detonation. Long before there were knock sensors on engines, I worked in a knock lab ( late 60's ) for a large oil company. An eye opener regarding engine detonation. I wouldn't be surprised if over half the build claims I see on this sight ( running outrageous CR's on pump gas )are running in some degree of detonation. It's just not enough to see / hear or to break stuff - but can be enough to negatively affect performance - and definitely enough to shorten engine life. Hence, knock sensors on all late model performance cars from the factory. KNOCK KNOCK, WHO'S THERE -----------. Hey Thumper, how's tricks? wave

Last edited by Crizila; 09/20/17 12:30 AM.

Fastest 300