Interesting stuff !!

I don't really have anything of value to add.

Maybe just an anecdotal story.....

I ran a factory 5 pin ignition for years(with the dual resistor) that I had taken out of a car at the bone yard(box, resistor, wiring harness, etc).
Never a problem..... Used a Super Coil that looked like it was already pretty old when I got the car in 1981.
In my mild-ish 440's that weren't turning much over 6k, it never skipped a beat.

When I installed my 340 I went with an MSD blaster 2 coil, since I could mount it closer to the distributor easier.
Had an intermittent skip at about 6500rpm and up(shifting at 7500).

I borrowed a used super coil at the track and it cured the problem.

Anyway...... When I got home I started probing some wires to see what kind of voltages I had at various points in the circuit.

I had some pretty big losses in several places. Bulkhead connector, old wiring, etc.
I was getting about 3.5 volts to the coil with the motor running.

I ended up installing an MSD 6a box, which got new 10ga power leads direct to the battery...... And I never looked back.

I guess my point was...... The old super coil and factory 5 pin box/resistor...... Even operating at way less than optimal voltage still ran surprisingly well.

When I pulled out all the old wiring that was used for the OE type ignition, I stripped the insulation off several wires at various points in the circuit...... They were all green inside.
When I did my probing, I was only seeing about 9.5 volts to the hot side of the resistor.
As I probed along the circuit....... The voltage just got lower and lower as you went further along in the circuit.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads