Originally Posted By dogdays
I call Bullpoop on everything and all the wacky theories and "makes sense to me" theories in the posts above.

Here's why: In the FIRST LINE of the manufacturer's instructions for the Supercoil for which 360 so kindly posted the link, it states:

The 140001 Super Coil is designed with most of the primary resistance external of the coil to reduce inductive reactance and therefore increase the coil output.

360, what part of that did you not understand?

To everyone else, unless you ARE an electrical engineer or somehow have learned about R-L-C circuits, this is the part of alternating current circuits that you cannot understand with a direct current brain.

I do not pretend to know the exact answer, it has been too long from EE201 and EE301.

R.
ยท

Well we dont have to be engineers to understand the basics of how the ign coil works. I am no engineer but I was taught some about the counterelectromotive force in the ign coil primary windings and that the normal ratio of primary and secondary windings with points was about 100 to 1 and transisterized ign coils average about 275 to 1. And I am sure we all know about coil magnetic field buildup (saturation) but most of that is not what the original poster asked. We just got a little carried away when he asked about what resistance ballast should he run. I guess when I look at a performance coil you have to figure what can change to cause more output ? The ratio of the primary and secondary windings or the amount of current flow in the primary windings to a point.
I would agree about what was said that the Super coil is designed for most of the primary resistance to be external. I know when I bought one many years ago it came with a .25 ballast and I will say if I was running points I would not run the full 12 volts to the coil like I am doing now with the MP electronic ign. Since the ECU can control coil buildup and current flow I would think thats why I have been able to run the full 12 volts to the Super Coil and have no problems with no external resister. But I would never do that with points since they cant change the dwell and I would think it would be harder on the condenser to control the points from arcing. I just wanted the original poster to know what I have been able to use. He has to use what he feels best with for primary resistance. I should go out and measure the primary current flow in my setup as I am very curious what it will be compared to what the stock system is. And I should check it with the key on and the eng running. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/05/17 10:22 PM.