I have one of the first Firecore distributors in my Savoy and it's just a mag pick-up tall model for RB engines. The advance is easy to adjust with just a Phillips screw driver to loosen the plate. Mine came with about 15* advance and the springs were perfect out of the box for my car. I had to adjust the advance to 10* and it was easy on a big block. There are no measurement tools that I am aware of though I just set mine and checked it and got lucky on the first try.
I am very happy with mine and I suggest you leave the springs alone or change them without disassembling the distributor. I changed them on other Firecore units using dental picks and micro needle nose pliers. This distributor is not really meant to be disassembled and the only ones I have seen troubles with are those that have been disassembled to change the springs.
Mine has been flawless for almost 8 years now and I would buy another one if I had to.
You can get them with either type of cap so make sure you specify with your order.
Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60