Hello fellow Mopar fans,
I'm building a '41 Chevy street rod and will be building a Mopar LA engine and 727 transmission to put in it. I'v e always loved Mopars, especially '60s - early '70s so when a co-worker offered me a 360 block I got it. Did some research and learned about the 408 stroker kits. Scored some 340x heads and a six-pack manifold. I recently came across a deal on a 340 block and picked that up. It turned out that the 340 block is "virgin"; it is a '71 casting and has never had a piston in it. Apparently, it was a spare parts or replacement block from the '70s that a dealer had squirreled away. The cylinders have never been honed and according to my measurements with a non-calibrated micrometer, the bore is just under 4.04". If I go with the stock bore on the 340 and stroke it to 4" it will be a 408 or I could bore it and get up to 416. I'm thinking the 8 extra cubes are not really worth unnecessarily boring a good 340 block. I'm not looking to build a race car, just a reliable driver street rod with loads of torque and a good highway cruiser. Opinions welcome. Advice will be considered.

Building '41 Chevy street rod with Mopar LA power. I tell my Chevy buddies it's on the Chevrolet improvement Program.