Moparts

New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod

Posted By: 41MoChev

New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/22/17 04:06 AM

Hello fellow Mopar fans,
I'm building a '41 Chevy street rod and will be building a Mopar LA engine and 727 transmission to put in it. I'v e always loved Mopars, especially '60s - early '70s so when a co-worker offered me a 360 block I got it. Did some research and learned about the 408 stroker kits. Scored some 340x heads and a six-pack manifold. I recently came across a deal on a 340 block and picked that up. It turned out that the 340 block is "virgin"; it is a '71 casting and has never had a piston in it. Apparently, it was a spare parts or replacement block from the '70s that a dealer had squirreled away. The cylinders have never been honed and according to my measurements with a non-calibrated micrometer, the bore is just under 4.04". If I go with the stock bore on the 340 and stroke it to 4" it will be a 408 or I could bore it and get up to 416. I'm thinking the 8 extra cubes are not really worth unnecessarily boring a good 340 block. I'm not looking to build a race car, just a reliable driver street rod with loads of torque and a good highway cruiser. Opinions welcome. Advice will be considered.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/22/17 06:14 AM

I'm sure it won't take long before someone offers you a complete engine for that block. Good luck with your project
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/23/17 08:10 PM

If you have any sense at all you will build a 360. That 340 NOS block is a SCORE! Let the bidding begin.

R.

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/24/17 06:50 PM

I wasn't planning on selling the 340 block, I know it is extremely rare.... Not saying there couldn't be an offer I can't refuse.

I mentioned that I have a 6-Pack intake manifold for it, but the manifold is not in great condition. It was over-ported for W2 heads and I have 340X heads. There are epoxies that can be used and should hold up, but I would rather have a new, or used manifold that hasn't been ported already. The problem is that Mopar or Edelbrock no longer make a 6-pack for the LA engine. If anyone knows of a source for one please let me know.

I was also hoping to outfit it with fuel injection units in place of the 3 carbs. There are sources to do that, but it would be much more expensive than the already costly 3 Holly 2bbl set-up.

I always welcome opinions and advice, but don't get your feelings hurt if I don't always follow them. I am pretty hard-headed. If I had followed the advice of most of my street rodder buddies, I wouldn't be putting a Mopar engine in a Chevy!

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/25/17 02:57 AM

Question: I understand that the serpentine belt system from a magnum engine can be fitted to an LA engine. Is this true? If so, are there any issues such as water pump rotation direction?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/25/17 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By 41MoChev
Question: I understand that the serpentine belt system from a magnum engine can be fitted to an LA engine. Is this true? If so, are there any issues such as water pump rotation direction?

Not easily.

The Magnum uses a shorter cam snout, no fuel pump eccentric provisions, with a correspondingly thinner timing chain cover.

You'd have to swap cam and cover or play spacing games to line everything up.

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/26/17 03:43 AM

Well okay then. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads-up.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/27/17 04:03 AM

One thing for sure is I would not bore a virgin 340 block! Good 340 blocks are getting harder to come by, there is no reason to shorten its life span by a needless overbore, there are plenty of 340 seasoned blocks out there if you want to overbore one. In a street motor, unless your street racing, your not going to miss those few CI the overbore would provide. Throw the stroke kit at it, and add a power booster if that is not enough for you. I would also do the EFI. I would think as time moves forward the EFI is going to be easier to tune and dial in properly. Gene

Re: New member - Building Mopar powered '41 Chevy streetrod - 05/30/17 02:26 AM

Yeah, I won't be boring the 340... and in that case I may as well use the 360 block for this build and save the 340 block for something more worthy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums