Quote:

It seems to come up every 3-5 years and I've posted most of this before. But, we all have different points of focus and if you weren't thinking of tires at the time, may not have paid much attention. Additionally, not everyone is willing to use non-d.o.t. or bias plys, so I don't always direct the discussion to these types of tires. FWIW, when I got back into oval track in the 90s, we were running bias plys. After a couple seasons the track decided to switch to radials. The first season times were off as everyone adapted to the new settings and driving style that radials would tolerate. However, once everyone figured it out, the radials did begin to turn quicker laps despite being heavier.

Yeah, we got into the Cobra stuff last time, but not this whole new world ov Cobra racing. I'd heard about the Goodyear stuff, but the Billboard/Blue Streak bit was still rather confusing (still is to many people, going by what i read on other forums). Now we have a LOT ov options... some aren't bad at all.

Quote:

The ones I linked to do have tread, albeit very shallow tread. They also offer all out slicks, but as you have seen, slicks can be grooved to produce a tread appearance. Purchase a grooving tool and you can do your own. Towel City does offer an 11" dirt tire. The softer compounds will grip better than a wider, harder tire, so an inch narrower than a BFG TA is not a deal breaker,IMO.

Price...$80-125 on average. Tires are consumables and a big point of contention for price and competitiveness in the oval track world. Its not uncommon to trash one or two every night of racing, so they have to be as inexpensive as possible.

The look is a deal-breaker though. On this build i'm compromising just a couple things for the look and sound. Going with a slightly smaller tire would actually solve some problems i'm gonna see, but i want the look ov a bigger tire. A grooving tool is a bit beyond my scope right now... Interesting thought for the future though, if its cheap enough.

Huh. That IS cheap. A lot ov that roundy-round stuff, from wheels to engines is dirt cheap. Interesting...

Quote:

He probably could. If you know an oval track racer, that means a track is nearby, perhaps? You may also be able to buy direct from the track its self. You might also contact those manufacturers directly and ask them who the regional distributor in your area is.

We have a pretty well-known track about 15 miles away. I've actually never seen a race there except one time probably 25 years ago.

Quote:

Sorry, my mistake. Maxxis Bravos and MT ST are in $150 range. The Marauder and MT SR will be in the $200+ range.

Dammit... get a guy's hopes up.

I just scored a set ov 4 295 BFG's for free. Only about 30-40%, and probably 15 years old, but i can drive on them while i figure out which way to go here. I've bought brand new 15x8" rims though... so unless these suckers just absolutely do not fit, i'm committed to the 15" tire experiment. Despite keeping me from 13" brakes for now, i really want to see these rims on my car.

Last edited by Pale_Roader; 05/12/17 09:58 PM.