So it's time for me to get a new vehicle for regular driving duties. I currently have an '08 Mazdaspeed 3 which has served me well over the last 5 years.

I am seriously considering buying a truck (some Ram variant) but I'm not sure if I actually 'need' one. The main reason for thinking I do is towing. I'm not talking about heavy towing but bringing my Duster to the track during the warm months.

Any truck I buy would have to be a crew cab to fit my kids. This generally means a short bed which to me, is kind of useless since you really can't fit too much in there. I live in the suburbs of NYC which can be quite congested and parking usually involves squeezing your car into a tight space so I can't justify a Mega Cab long bed.

I dunno, there just seems to be so many reasons for me NOT to buy one but when I actually DO need one, I'm S.O.L. Would a Durango suit my needs? I like the Durango R/T for sure.

I do currently have a '76 D100 BB/4spd. SWB. I bought it with the intention of using it as an occasional tow vehicle but the more I drove it around, that idea seemed less and less realistic. Could it be done? Sure but it's not really the ideal truck for that.

Daily driving a Ram will be a complete sea change as far as driving style for me. I would be switching from a compact, turbo 4 cylinder 6 speed to a Ram. I would certainly have to modify my driving habits to an extent which in all honesty, I'm not really too happy about. Though the Mazda can be a little uncomfortable and the 6 peed can get tiring on long commutes, it's a blast to drive. I think the transition to an SUV might be a little easier but I have not driven a Durango or a Ram since I stopped working for Chrysler 4 years ago, my frame of reference is blank.

The fuel economy would likely be a wash. The Mazda requires premium and generally gets around 325 miles per tank or 25 mpg. I know a truck would get less mpg but the tank is larger and regular fuel is cheaper.

Just wondering how those with trucks as daily drivers feel about it? They are almost advertised as 'family vehicles' now with all the conveniences and accouterments.

Thanks,

Greg

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500