Originally Posted By ruderunner
Why do you think the D100 is inadequate to tow the duster? Should be plenty capable of hauling that car on an open trailer.
If you had a 40' enclosed trailer loaded with junk well...

Like I said, it would probably be OK but...

gas mileage unloaded with ALL highway driving is barely 13 mpg. With a trailer, would probably be what, 2.5 mpg? From what I am reading, an Ecodiesel is capable of over 18 mpg loaded.

The wide ratio NP 435 in the D100 has 3 usable gears. That's hooked to a low compression 400 with a .484 cam and a 3.23 open gear... well you can figure it out. Could I change all that? Sure but it's still a short bed. If you read the long-term review on Edmunds, they say the Ram is quite stable and effortless.

And let's see, anti-lock hydroboosted brakes or '70s disc brakes and rear drums? Air conditioning? Cruise control? No matter how much you romanticize our old Mopars, they are nowhere near as capable or comfortable as a modern vehicle.

I will say, I thought about getting a Charger and finding another older truck that might be a little better suited to towing. But, I'd probably have a pay a little more for something decent and not in need of a total restoration. Even then, it mostly just sits there. Just doesn't make sense. I hardly drive the D100 now unfortunately.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500