JohnRR, you're right, the 318/904 combo is in IL. Dunno where I got CT from.
I checked out the local 318 on Thursday. It's out of a '69 Coronet, the owner is fine with selling it. $300. It's a low-mileage engine, looks decent inside. The shop that it's at says the compression is down, most likely from sitting for a long time. Rockers and pushrods look good, lifter galley is clean. I'm thinking rings, oil pump for insurance, maybe a timing set.
Yeah, all this will be more than the $350 for the setup in IL, but probably not by the time you take shipping from IL to MD into account.

I need to buy an engine stand, borrow a truck and rent a hoist to get it home. Since it's December, and I don't have a garage, it may get bagged up with a dessicant for the winter. But first I've got to get it here. The shop said that if I'm buying it, they'd like it gone sooner than later because it's taking up space.

(I'm currently burning vacation through Tuesday, and my schedule has become surprisingly full.)

Someone asked earlier if I had anything with a trailer hitch on it. Yes--the '67 Fury, and it's one of those old ones that's just a T-bar welded onto the rear subframe with a hole for a ball (there is an electrical hookup, but who knows if it still works?). I don't think I'd really want to tow something hundreds of miles with it, and not just because of the gas consumption (no tunes, probably no heat since I had to bypass the leaky heater core). But, y'know what, I could rent a trailer and buy a ball to retrieve the engine that's only 30 miles away...

Paul
68 Sport Fury ragtop
67 Fury III 4-dr HT
11 Charger Rallye
17 Challenger SXT Plus