Originally Posted By rt66jim
I would like to offer an observation on this discussion. I have never been to one of your events Josh. I can't afford to travel that far. My car is not very fast and certainly not pretty. What I did learn along time ago was I could only enjoy this sport a certain level. It's great to be able to go to a real quality track like Indy. I have personally been to Heartland Park once and Tulsa Raceway Park on several occasions. They are nice tracks. But I didn't enjoy the company of my fellow racers anymore by being there. My takeaway from the discussion is that most go to enjoy the racing and fellowship. Be able to friends that they may only see that one time all year. I understand your desire to want to be the best. But perhaps to be the best doesn't necessarily mean it has to be at the most expensive track. I have read posts from those who have attended events at Quaker City, Martin and numerous other tracks you have up in that area. They may not be the best. But everyone competes on the same track. All you really need is one willing to work with and can handle the size of the event. If the overhead is lower it would allow you to address some of the points raised in this post. Might also allow for a better payout down the field. This might attract more cars and grow the event. Don't lose sight of why they come. It's to race and enjoy each others company. Most of the other things are side benefits. JMO Jim

Jim, you're right about the events and what drives most people to attend, the friendship. Some would describe it as an extended family. But you need to experience Norwalk to understand the attraction. For some, just going to Norwalk is their #1 reason. The staff and the facilities (massive paved pits, electric, showers etc) are second to none. We are lucky enough to have quit a few Mopar events within a relatively close geographical area but even Josh will tell you, nothing can draw cars like the prospect of racing at Norwalk.