Originally Posted By Twostick
Does it just shut off like you turned off the key or does it seem to try to go into gear and stall the engine?

Just exploring the possibility of more than one problem here as unlikely as it might be. I'm thinking an internal torque converter issue as in it's locked up somehow. Engine will run in park but as soon as you pull it thru R on the way to N, R engages briefly, stalling the engine.

The no go from the key could still be a bulkhead connector problem. The one in my 66 is a little sketchy and will do the same thing.

What happens if you idle it up a bit, say 11-1200 RPM and then put it in gear?

Kevin

Well, I think I found the problem. Studying the wiring diagram I have on the computer I ended up printing a copy of the page that shows the engine compartment. Well, when I changed out the starter and cleaned the wiring I inadvertently switched the small red and brown wires to the starter. The brown is going to the main post while the red wire is going to the solenoid. OOPS!! I'll have to get back under there (on my old ass back) and fix that. That answers why the solenoid stays engaged. Sure miss having a lift at my disposal.

The other mystery is the battery wire coming off the starter switch. It shows as a J1 Red wire. I follow the diagram showing it ends at the bulkhead but when I go into the engine diagram the J1 Red wire is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by dart4forte; 05/10/16 12:54 AM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln