Originally Posted By 340clone
When starting from cold, I usually give the accelerator pedal a few pumps before cranking. I do notice that the choke plate is always in the full closed position when cold, and nothing seems to change the position of it when pumping unless I hold my foot on the pedal. The horizontal rod that the fast idle cam is on has a lot of side to side play, and I'm wondering if that is allowing the set screw not to engage on the cam?

Does what I am saying make any sense? Still learning about carbs...

There is your first problem , it's in the FULL CLOSED POSITION , that means there is no air getting thru and why you need to keep your foot in it to keep it running till it warms up a little and the choke thermo relaxes . You want roughly an 1/8" gap between the choke plate and the carb horn, to start , when it's STONE COLD, do one pump of the gas pedal to set the choke before cranking, get it running and then adjust the idle speed.

You can do this when the engine it warm by manually setting the choke to the 1/8" choke open, or whatever you decide on at stone cold closed position.

running up my post count some more .