Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
As Andy is saying, just because dyno numbers differ, does NOT mean anybody is lying. Things are NOT exact, don't care what some care to preach. I dyno most motors, NOT in an attempt to wear it out on the dyno and have a cool sheet to show people, but for the purpose of making sure it is sealed up, the carb is right and it shows to make about the power it SHOULD, based on the parts.

I built a 632 for a guy a few years ago, it made X power on a certain dyno. The next year after a freshen, we ran it on a different dyno. It was down 80hp and he was concerned. I pointed out that it burned the SAME amount of fuel, at the same air fuel ratio on both dynos, so regardless of what the sheet says, it makes the same power it did. One was a properly calibrated Stuska, the other a properly calibrated Super Flow

So which one was correct. Only one of the HP numbers can be correct. Or, I guess both could be wrong. How would you know, other than time slips?

I give up. As long as you think it's ok to have numbers that don't match there is nothing I can say, except that if you and I were working together, and we both measured a crank throw, and the number wasn't within .0001, maybe .0002 at the most, we wouldn't work together.

I get it that there are variables, and that would account for SLIGHT differences in outcomes. But to try to get me to believe that one guy loses 80 HP and that's NOT an issue...well, you won't.

I used to test my heads on different flow benchs, just to learn. It didn't matter what bench it was, when the corrected numbers were used, the 5 different benches were less than 1% off. Ever. That proved to those of us who were checking each others work that you can test to a standard. There was of course, on bench and one guy who always had crap numbers. His flow bench numbers are crap, his dyno numbers are crap. But he is much loved because he gives the customer what he wants.

Last edited by madscientist; 11/18/15 06:10 PM.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston