Originally Posted By mgoblue9798
Assuming the trans you want to use has a small block bellhousing bolt pattern, this adapter would likely work for you. http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id9.html

Your biggest problem is going to be floor pan and torsion bar xmember clearance. You are almost certainly going to have to do some major fabrication there.

What their website doesn't tell you clearly, is on your engine block you have to grind off your lower driver side transmission mounting ear. This ear gets in the way of the small block starter mounting location. If you don't do this, you won't be able to mount the starter unless you grind and reweld your SB bellhousing to accommodate the BB starter mounting location.

If the ZF transmission has it's own starter system, you may be saved this headache.

As for the trans controller, at a minimum I would expect the trans controller to want to see throttle position. Trans controller would also want to be tied into a speed sensor and engine RPM. If the ZF trans controller is expecting to receive this information through the OBD-2 CAN bus, I think you are screwed unless you can scrape together a controller to emulate this signal and provide the ZF ecu with a TPS, RPM and VSS signal at a minimum. The ZF controller could conceivably get it's own speed signal from it's speed sensor but I think for rpm and throttle position you would still be stuck. You would have to dive much deeper into this before you would even think about buying a transmission.

You will have to plan to slice and dice your floor pan and torsion bar crossmember to make this fit. The old mopar transmissions were quite skinny compared to modern ones. I applaud your desire to put a modern transmission into your car, IMO it's the way to go to get the most out of your old car!

440_dual_carbs.jpg