Here's a letter I received from a good Friend, Tim Bowman of Bowman performance. He doesn't post very often as he is usually busy teaching or in the shop building well thought out, high horsepower race engines. He was taught by one of the best so read this on his thoughts.

Been HAND porting heads 40+ years
Got to spend some time with probably one of the best hand porters out there, Joe Mondelo, RIP Joe I miss your input.
Proper hand porting has become a lost art.
Been flow testing for over 30 yrs of those 40 yrs
Its and ugly unrewarding job until you put them on and engine and make power.
I have never flow tested a cnc head Brand x or Mopar that ever flowed the claimed numbers AND didn't have major issues in the flow curve.
I'm with you on this one John, upper lift flow on a big head that should do it. Joke!
Garbage disposal? Sounds like someone took big crap in front of a big fan. That's what you got,crap
I promote cnc head sells, only with the plan than additional work needs to be done, and i charge on top of that.
cnc gets the rough work out of the way, John knows the time it takes to port n flow heads.
Repeatably JOKE! 40 cfm spread on the same head? That includes Hemi heads
Valve jobs as delivered, Lets not even go there. This is a big part of the final product
Also, on a cnc head, there are times where you can,t fix a problem they created without re- weld or sometimes epoxy
Cnc has a place in the market for those that do not have the skills to port heads, absolutely not offense intended to them.
But the product is not where it should be in this day and age.
Some of the cnc porting final finish looks like they cut lose a rabid beaver in there, come on Really?
Got so many cnc duplicate heads in here that are not even close to each other, wtf? is your equipment that wore out? Got any QC going on here ?
if your going to port heads for power/in all different applications better have a flow bench. Any novice can improve a cylinder head with in reason.
If you work with a flow bench, you need time to interpret what it is telling you also , it takes time and experience, I know John knows!
Lastly, there are a boat load of top self cnc heads being supplied out there, doing what there supposed to do, you just got to know who they are
and they are spoken of on Moparts.
My input John, feel free to post this, As for hand head porters, keep on grinding. Tim Bowman, Bowman Performance

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time