Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to a article in the latest Drag racing action mag there is a tester offered by Quick Fuel that will test the Ethanol content of your fuel, might be somthing to look into and it look's to be a decent article,,,guess I need to sit down and do some reading. now I need to try and find a station around these part's that sell's it.

Bill do you have any info or P/N on that tester
or the article that you can post. I might have to see
if I can get that mag

I have been happy with this method from the E85 handbook on the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition website:
http://www.e85fuel.com/pdf/storing-handling-e85.pdf
Quote:

Procedure for Testing Hydrocarbon Percent of Ethanol Fuel Samples
Based on SAE International Paper 912421 (Prepared by NEVC)
Equipment for E85 testing
VWR Scientific phone # 800-932-5000
50 mL pipettes; Cat. # 52966-217 pack of 12/$212.18
Safety Bulb; Cat. # 53497-202 pack of 3/$18.45
100 mL cylinders; Cat. # 24762-117 pack of 4/$120
Procedure
• Using the suction bulb, pipette exactly 50 mL of fuel sample into the graduated cylinder.
• Add about 48 mL of water to make the total liquid volume just less than 100 mL.
• Place the stopper in the cylinder and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
• Carefully loosen the stopper to release any accumulated pressure; do not remove the stopper.
• Close the stopper again and place the cylinder upright on a level surface. Allow the mixture to sit for about
15 minutes.
• Record the total volume of liquid by reading the lowest part of the upper meniscus (the curved interface
between the liquid and air).
• Record the total volume of the alcohol/water layer by reading the lowest part of the lower meniscus (the
curved interface between the two liquid layers).
Calculation
• The hydrocarbon percent is calculated by: 2.1 + 1.94 * (total volume - alcohol/water volume)
• Assuming the sample was an ethanol/hydrocarbon mixture, the ethanol percent is 100 minus the
hydrocarbon percent.

Example:

Upper 98 ml, lower 91 ml
2.1 + 1.94 x (98 - 91) = 15.68
ethanol = 100 - 15.68 = 84.3%

DOE Handbook 2008, Appexdix D, page 45.

Jim, thats the same as I use to do when I was working,
same procedure. I was wondering if they came out
with some thing new