Quote:

Quote:

If he wants to keep the RPM down, he needs to band-aid it with a shorter duration cam to move the torque curve lower.

I agree he should be turning a lot more rpm than he is, but the question is, why isn't he

if he wants the combination to be right, it will need more gear and converter for this cam, or a cam change to work with his existing setup.

Ok this is where I start getting confused so a smaller duration cam won't let the car rpm as high

Also I tried shifting @ 6700 made no difference shifted lower the car picked up

I'm running a 4.56 now with 31x14 tires what gear ad stall would be right

Also if you can see the pic clear my carb is sitting REAL close to top of hood scoop

Thanks again for all the input

A smaller cam with a stable valvetrain is very likely to rpm higher than a bigger cam with an unstable valvetrain. The smaller cam will increase the lower and mid range power which will accelerate the car quicker at lower rpm, all else being equal.
The reason, IMHO, that you picked up when your shift point was lowered, is because at 66-6700 is where the springs started to lose control of the valves and the car laid down. The cam wasn't near done yet and the springs were probably not the problem. Improper valvetrain geometry over stresses the springs and they lose control. That doesn't mean the springs are bad. They just can't handle the extra stress that they shouldn't be seeing in the first place. Hey, a ten pound hammer sitting on your foot won't hurt, but that same hammer dropped from a ladder on your foot will increase your vocabulary. Imagine the hammering the valvetrain takes if everything isn't right.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.