Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Head flow is king, period. If you've got a good set of heads you will make power.

It's not that simple...

Not that simple but it's a damn good start.

Only if other key things are taken into account. Just because you've got a "good set of heads" that flow well doesn't mean they're the right set of heads for an application.

Put a set of 350cc ported Indy 440-1s on a stock-stroke 400 and you'll have a gutless pig below about 5500 and needs to rev to 8000 to even come close to making the heads "work". Not my idea of a good combination...

I'll take an "OK" set of heads for the right application over a "good set" of heads for the wrong one.

(And this is what results when some people make really generic - and flawed - statements that more detail-specific people take exception to. )

You make a valid point but really, it's kind of an excessive example.
A better comparison that got me thinking a few years back was when I think it was Car Craft or whatever magazine built a small block chevy 400 and a big block chevy 400 both with decent heads and a hydraulic cam and ran them in a 70 something Chevelle.
Even though the Big Block weighed over 200lbs more it beat the small block every time by like 3 tenths, they both ran in the 12's.
Now this isn't the end all be all of the argument but it did show that at least for that combination the bigger port head in a heavy car with small cubes won the battle.