Quote:

Mopar Action magazine had a bit where they spoke with a 3G engineer. They had plans to build the 5.7 from aluminum but found that cast iron suited the needs better in terms of long term durability. Remember, the "Coyote" engine didn't get installed in the F-150 for 300,000 mile durability.
The 5.7 Hemi was expected to be a long lasting engine in the same vein as the Slant six and 318. I say "mission accomplished". My 2007 has 210,000 and still idles and runs like new. It burns some oil but is otherwise solid as a rock. I can only imagine how an aluminum block would have failed after the stresses of towing, running in 110 degree heat and 200,000 + miles of use. Look at the Cummins Diesel engines. THOSE are as heavy as you could ever imagine, again for durability and longevity. Granted, the high compression and vibration of Diesel engines impart greater stress, but you get the idea, right?

Yes, thats all elementary. Ford didn't put any aluminum into its trucks either. They had iron blocks for trucks, and aluminum for the performance cars... hell, even the T-Birds. I also understand that Ford has 7000 times as much money as Dodge, but holy HELL those SRT cars could use a weight break! Would a semi-limited run have killed them?

Someone told me last week the new Hellcat weighs 4450lbs... That CANNOT be right...