Just read all the comments. My 1.24 TBs are the largest that fit within the factory 1.25 hex opening (E bodies, and I believe all a and B bodies, as well. I believe the huge C-bodies have larger hex openings... ~1.4 or larger?

The factory race-prepped T/A/AAR TransAm cars run ~1.46 TBs... those are similar to old time NASCAR TBs... running the C-body hex openings.

Too bad MaMopar was wimpy with the soft and small ~0.94 TBs for their T/A and AAR street cars... they should've stepped up to at least ~1.12 for those cars to compliment the handling. I progressively tried different size TBs, setting up the car for national level competition SCCA E/SP class solo/autocross racing during the 80s and found the softer TBs (below the utlimate 1.24 diameter) allowed far too much lift and dive under hard driving. Those multiple choice size TBs were then available from a company called California Moparts/Suspension.. ahead of their times back then. At the same times, I would make other respective changes to the leafs and shocks. My sway bars were custom-made of solid steel 1.25 front, 1.0 rear. My overall combination works great for me... and the results have proved it in competition winning or placing high in many events and championship season series (only the nut-behind-the-wheel determines the final day's results and can always use improvement).

Anyone who is "afraid" that, for an E or B body, the 1.24 TBs are too stiff for the street, or for racing, you should experience it first before you comment. I offer you advice from my experience... and its still based upon an "overall" package.

Remember, too, that my car was setup to be running primarily on smooth surfaces, without much road bumps, etc. How is it on the street/highway?... Streets.. naturally, avoid pot-holes and slow down for railroad tracks; Highway?... typical smooth roads.. fantastic!

The hex openings on my Challenger have never failed with all the different TBs I'v tried... the 1.24s have been in the car since ~1987. Further, as per my class rules that I have the car setup for (SCCA E/SP solo/autocross and a couple other related club/class rules), I couldn't legally run any hex setup larger than the factory 1.25 openings.

If you'd want to add welding re-inforcement around the hexes, that would give you some added peace of mind... I believe the factory-prepped T/A and AAR TransAm cars had welded reinforcements at those hexes, as well as everywhere else on the car (same for any NASCAR vehicle, etc). Fortunately my car is 99.9% rust free and no cracks anywhere, etc.

As a final note, my good racing friends -- the Sandberg family -- have also run the 1.24 TBs on their various E-bodies... A-OK street/hwy/or racing.... highly recommended! I know Firm Feel will make these TBs and they may already have some sitting aside from a recent production (or 1.22 diameter which is also a very good TB size).

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 08/25/14 02:24 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!