I have raced various cars with numerous Vintage organzations at a national level and every organization has their own idiosycracies. However, I can say with certainty that exclusivity for cars with documented racing history is with a few exceptions a thing of the past. Pikes Peak changed their vintage policies two years ago which is a damn shame becuase after the success that Jess Neal had with his 71 Cuda there was a contingent of us that were planning an assault on Pikes Peak in 2016 for the 100th anniversary. Larger events may require you to request an invitation, but they rarely will flat out refuse a car if it hasn't raced for 30 years. It is always a plus if it has, but not a requirement. What is more important is that it is built to the spirit of the rules at the time. If you show up running rack and pinion, an aluminum block, six piston calipers etc. that's not going to fly. But if your car is clean and well prepped, the overwhelming majority of organizations need the entries and have backed off their older policies of requiring documented history. The financial downturn, the increased competition from other sanctioning bodies, and quite frankly the 'Barret Jackson Affect' of skyrocketing car values have all been factors in the gentrification of vintage fields. I mention the latter because I can tell you for a fact that the majority of cobras and GT40s running vintage events are continuations because a lot of guys just won't risk a seven figure car on the track anymore. This is not at all limited to the Ford camp. Organizations had to choose betweeen allowing clones or watch their grids shrink. I am speaking from both a racer and organization stanpoint as I have done both.

Back to the issue at hand - yes, please! Build another Barracuda vintage racer so I have someone else to play with. With the exception of a couple times when one of the orginal Trans Am cars has been at Road America, I am pretty much the only mopar at any midwest vintage race. There was a guy in Michigan campaining a duster last season but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. The only real mandated requirements for racing will be of the safety nature - roll cage, harness, seat, etc. The rest of the car prep is really up to you. If you are just starting out I'd say you are going the right way - start with light prep. Money/time is better spent leaning to drive a reliable but perhaps underprepared car than trying to build the perfect beast before you drive. Take it from someone that did it the wrong way. You can always develop the car as you go. I will PM you my contact information - feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email with questions. If you are able to make the drive to the Chicagoland area at some point I can show you some basics to get you going.

Brian - 67 Barracuda Vintage Racer

1967 Barracuda Fastback Vintage Road Racer
1971 Scamp
2015 Challenger
1998 Ram 2500 CTD