Quote:

Gonna resurrect this old thread because i'd like this answered. Would big block be different?

Quote:

Question for anyone who has installed the whiplash cam in a low compression 340 (mine is a 73), are there any problems with clearance with the stock valve guides or did you have to have them machined down?
How about piston to valve clearance?

Also, OA5599, when those Whiplash videos were taken, did you have any head work done? Or is that a stock top end with the RPM intake?

Also, you say 8.5:1 CR with your combo, yet its a 70 340...??? I know the factory ratings were optimistic, but down 2 whole points...???

Just trying to get an idea ov what i'll get from this cam in a stock 67 383.

Sorry it took a few days to answer. But the low down on my old 70 short block is that it was rebuilt by the previous owner back in the 90s with low octane in mind as opposed to time slips. There were no clearance issues when it was installed, and the recommended Hughes springs and lifers were used with it. We drove it for 2 trouble free years with the Whiplash, and were very pleased. At the time of the videos, and the whole time the cam was in it, the heads had not been touched. Best 1/8 mile was 8.17 and best 1/4 was 12.96 at 104.2. Terrific street manners and plenty of vacuum. The only reason it was changed earlier this year was due to our dream stroker being installed. If we ever get another mild street car, it will be getting a Whiplash, too. If you have any more questions, let me know.