Moparts

Hughes Whiplash cam testimony.

Posted By: OA5599

Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/07/08 03:09 AM

Just installed, broke in, and test drove the 69 Cuda with a Hughes Whiplash cam in it. Motor is a 100% factory '70 340 motor right down to the cast iron exhaust manifolds. I was looking for a cam that not only ran better, but sounded much manlier. Kevin at Hughes Engines talked me into the Whiplash cam for the 340. The sound is somewhere between a 284 and a 292 purple cam (which is very healthy), but I'm holding between 8 and 10 inches of vacuum. With the stock cam, the car would spin about 3/4 the way through 1st gear with my peg leg 3:23s (about to be replaced), but now it will spin far into 2nd gear. The low end is amazing compared to before, but it pulls really hard to at least 5500. I don't have timeslips yet, but I can tell that it has the stock 340 cam beat all through the RPM range, and has a radical idle that turns heads. I hadn't heard much about the Whiplash before I bought mine, but I took and chance and I couldn't be happier with it. In the next few weeks, the car will get TTI headers/exhaust and a 3:91 sure grip, so it should pick up a good deal from that too. I will post video soon with sound before and after. Just thought I would share in case anyone else was considering a Whiplash.

P.S. Link on my signature is from the old cam, not the new Whiplash.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/07/08 12:02 PM

Quote:

Just installed, broke in, and test drove the 69 Cuda with a Hughes Whiplash cam in it. Motor is a 100% factory '70 340 motor right down to the cast iron exhaust manifolds. I was looking for a cam that not only ran better, but sounded much manlier. Kevin at Hughes Engines talked me into the Whiplash cam for the 340. The sound is somewhere between a 284 and a 292 purple cam (which is very healthy), but I'm holding between 8 and 10 inches of vacuum. With the stock cam, the car would spin about 3/4 the way through 1st gear with my peg leg 3:23s (about to be replaced), but now it will spin far into 2nd gear. The low end is amazing compared to before, but it pulls really hard to at least 5500. I don't have timeslips yet, but I can tell that it has the stock 340 cam beat all through the RPM range, and has a radical idle that turns heads. I hadn't heard much about the Whiplash before I bought mine, but I took and chance and I couldn't be happier with it. In the next few weeks, the car will get TTI headers/exhaust and a 3:91 sure grip, so it should pick up a good deal from that too. I will post video soon with sound before and after. Just thought I would share in case anyone else was considering a Whiplash.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/08/08 04:00 PM

TTIs headers are installed now, but my new mini starter from autozone isn't agreeing with my flywheel. I think I'll just put the old starter on it for now, I like the sound of the old starters better anyway.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/08/08 09:42 PM

cool!!! glad to hear results on a whiplash cam

I want to get specs on a whiplash roller cam

looks like I will be calling kevin real soon also

yea a before an after sound clip,thats the ticket

Posted By: cudadan

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/08/08 11:36 PM

good luck, hope it holds up better than there other cams
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 01:24 AM

Quote:

Me too, mine is five years old and still running strong .
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 01:58 AM

Quote:

that might be a little uncalled for . the only problem i have with my hughes cam is keeping the front wheels down. how about a 5.91 1/8mi? it has over 116mph. yeah, bad cams
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 02:04 AM

If you don't know who ground the Hughes cam and who ground your current cam its hard to predict the outcome. I don't think either have purchased a cam grinder or made lobe masters as of today. For the original poster the "Whiplash" cams are a response to comps "Thumper" line,tigher LSA on small lobes for a street car that needs to sound tough.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 01:56 PM

...poser cam...just what I want

I am gonna give one a try

just because it supposed to work with the lopo I got and the thumper needed a lot of every thing I dont have in a lopo driver

of course I am a 3/4 cam rabid parts changer

gonna run what I brung till it breaks

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 03:46 PM

Quote:

I guess "how cool it sounds" is something we all want, but this is the Race forum, isn't it? I don't know of any tracks that award wins based on how cool a car sounds, or how far it can "spin" (although this does sound alot like how they award wins for drifting , doesn't it?).??

With that admittedly flaming response said, I too am planning a Hughes cam in my next build.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 03:53 PM

I was skepical at first and was going to just try to pick the right performance cam. But after some thinking about it, the car sees the track maybe twice a year, other than that just cruising and car shows. But as soon as I drove it I loved it. Has a seriously nasty idle, but idles in gear just fine. Tons of low and mid range and pulls to 5500. Before this car, I had a 508 purple in a 340 and this is way more fun to drive. I ditched my cast iron manifolds in favor of TTI headers yesterday, but due to starter problems, I haven't been able to start it yet. As I said earlier, before and after vids will follow all of this in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 04:11 PM

It isn't suprising that this cam works better in a street car,it's 20 plus degrees shorter than the MP cam you had.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 08:01 PM

I am skeptical also

I dont get how it idles like a funny car and drive like a good street bruzer

is it just the high lift and short dur that duz this,of course I dont know how the # work on any of them...how is it better than the voodoo series cams

never mind,I will just try it for the funny car idle,I hardly see over 70mph and and most cruzin is 2000rpms and I like to idle a round the cruz in posing to be fast for the 3/4 cam crowd....

I will go back over to the 3/4 cam forum now
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 08:32 PM

The cam sounds "nasty" and makes the car shake or what not because it has a narrow LSA of 106. Used to be how the old race stuff was, very narrow. Now many aftermarket manufacturers are going to wider LSA's of 110 or 112.

I'd rather have people think my car is slow, and prove them wrong, than for my car to sound radical, but have little to back it up.
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 08:34 PM

Quote:

The cam sounds "nasty" and makes the car shake or what not because it has a narrow LSA of 106. Used to be how the old race stuff was, very narrow. Now many aftermarket manufacturers are going to wider LSA's of 110 or 112.

I'd rather have people think my car is slow, and prove them wrong, than for my car to sound radical, but have little to back it up.

And with the low manifold vaccum it will cause hell if you have power brakes!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 08:39 PM

Quote:

I am skeptical also

I dont get how it idles like a funny car and drive like a good street bruzer

is it just the high lift and short dur that duz this,of course I dont know how the # work on any of them...how is it better than the voodoo series cams

Before people started grinding cams for streetable manners AND a radical lope, the narrow LSA angle was required on a long duration cam because after all, there are only 360 degrees in a circle. In a shorter duration cam there was no reason to grind in such a narrow LSA (which means major overlap)....UNLESS, a radical idle was your goal!!!!!

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 08:46 PM

so the lsa of 106 is what makes it choppy compared to my lsa 112 on the voodoo cam

Posted By: patrick

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/09/08 09:03 PM

basically, yes. a narrow LSA will also give you a slightly more peak torque, but the torque curve won't be as flat, and the powerband will drop off quicker, so while peak torque might be more, average torque over say 2000-6000 might end up slightly less than a cam identical in spec except LSA.
Posted By: SANDYinNS Canada

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 01:07 AM

Quote:

I guess "how cool it sounds" is something we all want, but this is the Race forum, isn't it? I don't know of any tracks that award wins based on how cool a car sounds, or how far it can "spin" (although this does sound alot like how they award wins for drifting , doesn't it?).??

With that admittedly flaming response said, I too am planning a Hughes cam in my next build.

Sound is one thing I'm looking for I'm upgrading to stealth heads and an eddy 2x4 setup on my street 440 d100. I don't want to do an engine rebuild so the 106 centerline cam seems like a great idea to me.

I had a custom comp cams grind done for the last 340 I freshened. It was low comp 73 narrowed up the centerline to get some more cly pressure.

glad those whiplash cams are out there now!

At the official Mooseland dragstrip we give out a prize for distance!

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And with the low manifold vaccum it will cause hell if you have power brakes!

I am holding between 8" and 10" of vacuum with my Whiplash. How much more do you need for your brakes?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 02:00 AM

im at 6" to 7" in drive with power brakes.

245/250 @.050 and 265/275 lift. brakes work fine with vacuum res. thats wit ha 108 lsa. runs great but you need converter, gears, headers, and a port job sure did help A LOT
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 02:03 AM

I had 7" and power brakes with General Kinetics cam--it wasn't enough. You MAY squeek by with 8 to 10 but its marginal for safety. Also by tweeking timing, idle A/F, and idle speed maybe you can get it to be a solid 10"? Then I think you'll be OK.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 02:16 AM

you must have had a bad check valve or booster. i tell you FACT, my brakes are AWESOME with 7" . it wasnt too bad before I put the vacuum resevoir in. it worked but if I was in traffic, I could feel it after a few steps on the pedal.

now, I dont notice it a bit. but then again, I dont drive in traffic where I am stopped for a 1/2 hour or more
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 03:04 AM

I ran a hughes hyd cam in my 340 swinger and it worked great. They also ported my heads with their stage 1 version and the car moved for what it was. Original 340 30 over with 9.5 comp auto trans and 355 gears with rpm intake and 750 carb turned 12.56@106mph.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 12/10/08 03:11 AM

i have a stock 340 70 short block, TTI exhaust, 3:91s, performer RPM in my a body cuda. Feels like really strong 13s with the Whiplash. Hoping for 13.50 or better if I can hook with my skinny street tires.
Posted By: Evil_Ways

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 01/01/10 09:04 PM

Question for anyone who has installed the whiplash cam in a low compression 340 (mine is a 73), are there any problems with clearance with the stock valve guides or did you have to have them machined down?
How about piston to valve clearance?
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/12/11 08:48 AM

Gonna resurrect this old thread because i'd like this answered. Would big block be different?

Quote:

Question for anyone who has installed the whiplash cam in a low compression 340 (mine is a 73), are there any problems with clearance with the stock valve guides or did you have to have them machined down?

Also, OA5599, when those Whiplash videos were taken, did you have any head work done? Or is that a stock top end with the RPM intake?

Also, you say 8.5:1 CR with your combo, yet its a 70 340...??? I know the factory ratings were optimistic, but down 2 whole points...???

Just trying to get an idea ov what i'll get from this cam in a stock 67 383.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/13/11 12:08 PM

Bump.

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/14/11 11:50 AM

Quote:

Bump.

Bumpity...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/15/11 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lowest ET. Highest vacuum. Smoothest idle. In that order!

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/17/11 12:48 AM

Bump.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/17/11 12:52 AM

has anyone ever actually got a whiplash from one of these cams? lol
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/17/11 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too, mine is five years old and still running strong .

if you had trouble with a Hughes cam you either got a bad one or did something wrong. We cant kill them and make big power with them.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/17/11 05:54 PM

this is the Race forum, isn't it?

Used to be...

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/18/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

Used to be...

Well... its not quite Speedtalk... but i'm thinking ov getting one ov these cams for my hotrod... which i fully intend on racing, and often. Does that count...???

Dont think i'm getting my question answered anyways.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/18/11 09:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Used to be...

Well... its not quite Speedtalk... but i'm thinking ov getting one ov these cams for my hotrod... which i fully intend on racing, and often. Does that count...???

Dont think i'm getting my question answered anyways.

Ov course it does.
As far as the question you asked that no one gave on the 8.5 ratio My guess is larger CC heads?
I know that in the years i have played with 340's some had taller deck hights and I have a set of J heads that are 74cc's those 2 alone would bump you way down in compression.
As I said I is a guess on my part that the OP had his piston way down as far as deck hight and not the .020 above like a perfect blue printed block would be and the CC of the heads were large as some run...........

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/19/11 02:31 PM

Quote:

Gonna resurrect this old thread because i'd like this answered. Would big block be different?

Quote:

Also, OA5599, when those Whiplash videos were taken, did you have any head work done? Or is that a stock top end with the RPM intake?

Also, you say 8.5:1 CR with your combo, yet its a 70 340...??? I know the factory ratings were optimistic, but down 2 whole points...???

Sorry it took a few days to answer. But the low down on my old 70 short block is that it was rebuilt by the previous owner back in the 90s with low octane in mind as opposed to time slips. There were no clearance issues when it was installed, and the recommended Hughes springs and lifers were used with it. We drove it for 2 trouble free years with the Whiplash, and were very pleased. At the time of the videos, and the whole time the cam was in it, the heads had not been touched. Best 1/8 mile was 8.17 and best 1/4 was 12.96 at 104.2. Terrific street manners and plenty of vacuum. The only reason it was changed earlier this year was due to our dream stroker being installed. If we ever get another mild street car, it will be getting a Whiplash, too. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/20/11 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry it took a few days to answer. But the low down on my old 70 short block is that it was rebuilt by the previous owner back in the 90s with low octane in mind as opposed to time slips. There were no clearance issues when it was installed, and the recommended Hughes springs and lifers were used with it. We drove it for 2 trouble free years with the Whiplash, and were very pleased. At the time of the videos, and the whole time the cam was in it, the heads had not been touched. Best 1/8 mile was 8.17 and best 1/4 was 12.96 at 104.2. Terrific street manners and plenty of vacuum. The only reason it was changed earlier this year was due to our dream stroker being installed. If we ever get another mild street car, it will be getting a Whiplash, too. If you have any more questions, let me know.

that's your video on youtube!? I found it a few weeks ago when I was looking for some whiplash cam videos. I've got a 5.9L coming with that cam in it, can't wait to drop it into my Dakota.

hoping for 13s with it. I ran a 14.61 with the 5.2 and a cam, but I knew there was more in it with the 5.2

by the way, where did you record that video? I want to drive that road!

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/20/11 10:29 PM

Thanks! The video was taken in a small SE Ohio town called Little Hocking. The road is St Rt 124. Fun road to play on. The Whiplash really woke the 340 up. Had a lot of low end grunt for what it was.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Hughes Whiplash cam testimony. - 09/21/11 03:02 AM

Nice job on those videos. That looked like a strong running 340 and sounded excellent too. I am sure you are liking that stroker much better though. Green '69 fastbacks with SB strokers rule -).
© 2024 Moparts Forums