Quote:

gene, I've done 2 tanks. the one was for a 55 chevy. for it, I used a section of a wrecked Pontiac tank for the sump and mounting ring area, which allowed the use of a factory pump. this was welded into the 55 tank. the sump was a round area[a can shape the pump fits down into] with just a couple of smallish slots to allow fuel to enter and had a couple of locator/support tabs on the bottom that braced the pump when it was installed. this is to supplement the "basket" that surrounds the factory pump assembly. this was to feed a 94 LT1 that is stock. if I remember right, this pump is used in a bunch of gm vehicles, so replacements are everywhere. the other was for my cousin's 29 model A rpu. for it, 14ga. flat stock was used. it was bent up into a box shape with the sending unit/pickup/filler neck areas marked and cut out before it was bent. as this was just a "square-ish" type tank, 2 baffels were cut and welded into the inside before the ends were welded on. remember to pressureize the finished tank with about 10lbs of air to check for leaks. there are bound to be several if your luck is like mine. when both tanks held 10lbs. for a week or so, they were installed, and both have been trouble free. if you can, stainless would be the best material to use if it's available because of todays gas. if I remember correctly, the factory uses a special coating on the steel tanks, but I can't remember the name of it. hope this helps in your decision.

terne coated, you pretty much hit the baffle idea right on the head. When I EFI'd my 87 Diplomat I put a pump on the end of the stock pickup. That did not work well.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.