Quote:

I had some friends who were driving government fleet vehicles, Dodge Durangos, it was widely known and they confirmed that the 5.9 Mag got better mileage than the 5.2.

That is very surprising, and even here far the exception. Interesting. Then again, thats a heavy heavy rig. Past a point i think with a 318 you're just flooring it to get it out ov the driveway...

Quote:

Now there is no earthly reason why a 360 would have different economy characteristics than a 350 chevy, but they seemed to. During the '70s, neither one had much compression and neither had a cylinder head with squish.

I agree... you would think that with all the talk about Mopar design and efficiency, the 360 would pass more gas stations, but i've always known 350's to be decent on gas. My Chevy friends rave about them.

Quote:

If you have a 5.2 Mag on a stand I say build it. The reports on them from Board members is that with proper tuning and a few hotrod parts they will make power equal to an LA 360 but with quite better mileage. That's for street engines.

If you really want more power stick a 4" crank in the 5.2 and go to town.

Dont have it yet, but i found a nice one and its close to home and cheap. No need and no want for a stroker. I dont need 400cid to win races.

Quote:

Before I'd put a 5.2 on the shelf for a 5.9, I'd find a G3 Hemi. That's significantly lighter and stronger, also more efficient.

R.

Well... if i had the time and money to do a full custom install with a completely foreign engine i'd go one better and do the damn 4.6L mod swap. At this point i'm open to anything (that isn't a Chevy... come on now...), and well... Ford does what i want better than Mopar does. I dont need 350cid.

That G3 hemi howl does grow on ya though... Now... if they made a 4.7L or 5L hemi, with an aluminum block...