Dont know HOW many times i've heard this. Never once has someone not knocked the inefficiency ov the 360... whether old style LA, or the newer Magnums (except ME... i thought my 78 Volare 360-2bbl was great on gas). Looking at ratings, the math makes the 318 far better for its size than the 360. I've rarely heard anyone rag on the 318 for its piggishness, or really, even for its sluggishness. Most 318 owners were happy with it for what it was, a far rarer sentiment with 360 guys, especially Magnum guys.

Personally... i cant see how one relatively similar engine (360) can suck at efficiency when such a close relative (318) doesn't (lets say both are Magnums). It seems to me more an issue ov installation, tune, accessories. I know they pooched the factory tune on the 360 Magnums. Maybe the exhaust/intake is already too small for the 318, and dumping it on the 360 further chokes it up?

I have a very light car (will be 3000lbs), with a stick, and it'd be nice to be as fast as a 12 second car from a roll (its not a drag car). I found a really nice 318 Magnum ('95 Ram), and i am really trying to find a reason why i need a 360? What i DONT want... is a pig. If i wanna suck gas i'll stick with the 400 lowdeck. Quite honestly... my 96 4.6L Mustang (3400lbs, 215HP) goes almost fast enough for what i need... a 318 Magnum as installed (Dougs headers, full race exhaust, RPM air-gap, Holley, cam, etc.) should make far more power, and in a lighter car.

Do i keep looking for a 360? Instinct tells me the 318 Magnum (with my mods) should be plenty fast and efficient in a 3000lb stick car.