Quote:

Quote:

Hi all. I have a 493 shortblock that I plan to bolt 84cc edelbrock heads (out of the box) onto, along with a performer RPM intake (willing to change if needed), 950 CFM carb. The compression is 10.3:1 with the heads and .039” gasket.

Small headers (1 5/8 schumachers, but I’ve seen people run 10.8 with them so I’m not considering them too bad of a handicap).

With the 493 they will be a handicap, IMO No big cam for you. You need a smaller cam, like the MP 528 or similer that works well with a restricted exhaust.

Even with that said, you should still be able to run into the tens with a A-Body and your 10.3 comp. and 493 combo. I just wouldnt throw alot of cam at it.

EDIT; Dave, I just bumped up a post for you from 2013 in "Question and Answer" Its Titled , "Best headers for a street 440" Check out Skeptics link, "This Test" A comparison between 2" headers and the Schumacher tri,s. o a 451 and MP 590 cam.

Thanks. I've seen that article on Schumacher's site. And on Big block dart, a guy ran 10.7 with bigger headers then slowed to 10.90 with schumachers.

I'll probably upgrade to proparts soon, just want to get the motor in first, so I'm not restricting myself to the smaller headers it's just what i have now.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.