Uhhh....you bracket racer guys realize this thing is essentially a JEEP, don't you? heavy full frame, heavy drive hubs and truck wheels up front, flat springs, etc.

And I believe that Aero drag startsr costing power (in terms of how much it takes to push it through the air relative to one another) long before 119 MPH, if it didn't why would auto companies spend TENS of MILLIONS every year on R&D for cars that can only legally travel 65 mph? There are engineering formulas for calculating the HP costs of Drag for speeds based on frontal area, CD and MPH, the numbers are what they are....and the 40-45 hp at 119 IS reasonably accurate for the .5 vs .65 CD Comparison I cited.....whether you choose to believe them or not is another thing though:

http://gtechprosupport.com/support/AeroDragCalc.htm

Use the same frontal area (say 25 sq ft) and just change the CD, A 4th gen Camaro is .29, a Duster is about .5 and a Daihatsu Rocky is .65.....at 60 mph the difference is 5 hp (18 vs 23.4) but at 119 it's 42.6! (182.6 vs 140). A .65 CD (in this 25 sq ft example) takes as much horsepower to push to 119 as a .5 cd does at 130.

As for the Wheaties for what I spent? LOL, I have less than a tenth of what the guy in the $85K Z06 had in his car that saw Daihatsu taillights all the way down the track, and Way Less than a lot of the 'bracket cars' I saw yesterday that were way slower than mine, I can promise you that. This thing has a full exhuast (with cut outs but they don't really help that much) and if not for emissions would be perfectly fine for driving on the street. And I'm pretty dang sure I could get just about every Net dime I have in this thing back out of it, it really wasn't all that much and I get "That thing is AWESOME, you wanna sell it?" offers just about everywhere I go. Not many racers I know can say that...

Also regarding power I'm running the same 98+ MPH that a lot of 6.90/10.90 combos are running (including Brad's "textbook" example of one)....and that's despite being 1.5-2 tenths slower in the 1/8th which is a couple MPH I gotta make up after 60'.....Plus I'm on drag radials....I suppose I could have bolted on the 26 x 9.50 Hoosier DOT Slicks in the trunk but I'm trying to go tens on real street legal radials.....jeez guys, cut the boy some slack!

If/when I get a 1.5-1.55 60' that will put me up and over 100 in the 1/8th.....but I'll bet you the 1/4 mph will still be slower than the old 1.24/1 'rule of thumb" ratio....I think that would be mainly due to my barn door aerodynamics but I guess I really must be a Dumb Azz. if you think it takes the same HP to push a jeep from 60 to 120 mph as it does a duster or Camaro....well.

With a loose front end this thing lifted the front wheels instantly off the line just like the Little red wagon, Now it's tight (maybe too tight but we'll see) and I'm sneaking up on the combination that will get me down the track safely....this thing has an 85" wheelbase boys and is 5'-6" tall at the top of the windshield.

I don't get it out much but every time I do, I have a freakin BLAST, and apparently so do a lot of other people who watch it run....I guess that's reward enough.

There's no pressure at all, if I win....the crowd LOVES it, if I lose....hey you just beat a Daihatsu! Congratulations!!

Last edited by Streetwize; 04/13/14 11:05 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0