It might be a simple as many Chrysler dealers made their bread & butter selling family cars - others were more performance oriented -maybe he knew someone at that dealership?? Could be a lot of reasons. Some dealers didn't want to deal with a car like this. Why would someone come across the country to get a Hemi Dart at Grand Spaulding Dodge when they could just order it from their local dealer?
Granted, you could go home with it from Grand Spaulding. I am sure there is a story there from the original owner but I don't know if I would read much into it. I have Chrysler paperwork that shows B029 cars ordered by a Dealer in Ontario and Toronto - this is an early list and does not include all the cars - the Ontario Dealer is not the one that Frank Elliot said his car came from though - that is why I was curious about which dealership this car came from.
John Petrie never raced a Hemi Dart - I am not sure where that started but like a lot of other things about these cars, someone said it and now everyone believes it.
Mark J
68 Hemi S/S Registry