I can only speak from experience.

The question is kinda wrong to start with. The same quench. I assume to OP means piston to head clearance. Then if you change nothing else the ratio would have to change when going from flat top to dish pistons. Opening the combustion chamber or running more valve angle to deepening the combustion chamber.

I like shallow valve angles although some say a sharper angle slows the flame in say a power adder. So if I run my small chamber heads. A shallow angle then we are talking less than 40 cc. With any stroke we have a compression problem. Running a full dish fixes this problem. Can't see how that would disturb a flame front as the valve reliefs are much less evident in a dished piston. Some heads like P7 have a lot of lumps placed in key areas to make compression with short strokes. When you install these heads on larger strokes you start thinking of getting rid of these lumps.

I have always thought if you are starting with a clean sheet of paper you should make the combustion chamber in the head 2/3 the size of the needed combustion space at TDC. Then make the piston with the other 1/3 mirrored to the head. This way at just before TDC you have better flame front characteristics requiring less ignition advance before TDC. I have always felt it was an advantage to have an engine requiring less timing.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.