The real answer to this question may also be "it depends" Some times stuff works like it is supposed to, some times it doesn't. There are many other factors besides flame travel that will effect the end result. Stuff like the effect of tumble and swirl, how it changes as the piston rises, engine rpm used, plug location, and on and on. But figuring that we were talking about my favorite motor, a BB, then I am betting on a dish based on the fact that the majority of the fuel/air mix winds up closer to the plug, (shorter flame travel to the edge of the charge) and the quench area actually increases if you cut the heads a lot like mine are. The reason you see engines at less than 4.00 bore now days is that it is better for emissions, hp and efficiency. Some of that comes from reduced surface to volume ratio.
One clue to my first statement is that I read somewhere that 60 percent of the computer design time spent on the new Corvette was spent on combustion engineering in the new motor. That alone says there is much to learn yet, and all the "rules" are subject to new info.

Last edited by gregsdart; 11/24/13 04:34 PM.