Quote:

Quote:

I thought about putting on my 178 intake and AFB just to see how it would run.

I presume that if you want to run FAST you'll have to run iron heads. I don't know if they check head casting numbers.

To get that stock like idle, the cam will need to be fairly short on duration, and with that, the earlier recommendation of 9 to 9.5 CR is probably the max in my opinion. Good cam choice and proper installation will help scrub some cranking cylinder pressure. Call Dwayne Porter to help with the cam.

My understanding of FAST is it has to appear stock, not sound stock...A quench motor with some camshaft should have no trouble at 10.3-10.5...

From the rules:

Quote:

2.00 ENGINE
2.03 Cylinder Heads and Intake Manifold MUST be correct* OEM casting, have correct* original casting numbers and be of correct* original material.
This may very well be the most important and teched F.A.S.T. rule.
Note: Any cylinder head or intake manifold that is not the correct* casting number, must be approved and published on the F.A.S.T. website.
Casting date codes are not looked at and are not part of the tech process.

6.00 CAMSHAFT
6.01 Camshaft must produce a correct* stock sound at idle. We all know what a STOCK cam sounds like! Factory cam specs will be taken into consideration when determining the correct* idle sound.
Example: An Olds W30 or a Mopar Max Wedge car had large cams from the factory. They will not be expected to idle as smoothly as a 1973 400. Camshaft lopiness and smoothness will be teched with the engine operating at idle RPM and from the exhaust outlets. Upgrade to solid flat tappet or roller cam OK. Mechanical sounds from the valve train are not a tech item.