Quote:

But I've tried looking at the circuit diagrams when I read other posts on the subject, and that crap confuses me.

Understandable. Think of electricity like water it flows along the wires in the diagram. it has to flow from one side of the battery to the other or it doesn't flow at all. For some people that helps make sense. The wires in the diagram are labeled with something like V3-18DBL* or BLK/W.
V3 is the number so you can trace it to the other end.
18DBL is 18 gauge, dark blue color
* is on wires with a stripe (Tracer) on them. No * means a solid color.
Those marked BLK/W are simply color codes and in this case is a black wire with white tracer stripe.
You get the idea, hope it helps.

Quote:

What I would be looking for is pretty much a full stock replacement with maybe a little larger wires than stock. (are the kits stock or larger than stock wire size?).

I am pretty sure the replacement kits are stock size wires to be correct for restoration purposes.

Quote:

Then I'd want a few upgrades like relays for: electric fans, A/C,. I have an alarm system and stereo system on it as well.

I would evaluate your stock harness first. Decide if your going to use existing wiring or replace then wire in the upgrades.

Quote:

Is it really as easy as ordering a couple of different harnesses and slowly going through everything?

In your case there will be engine, dash, front body, transmission, A/C, and rear body wiring harnesses. I believe I remember correctly.

In your case the front body and rear body (all your outside lights) may not be available because it's a 4 door and they may not make one if they are different than the popular to restore 2 doors.

The only hard part of replacing the stock harness is the dash. You can replace it in the car by removing the cluster but it is much easier to pull the dash.

I can pull the dash in about 1/2 an hour but I have done dozens of them. Take your time and it will be out in about an hour maybe two if you get a sandwich break and it saves lots of work in the long run.

Quote:

I would feel a lot more comfortable about doing it myself if I had someone who knows electrical to help me through it.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd help. Maybe somebody close to you can lend a hand.

Can you post pick of the problem spots you are worried about in your harness?