Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand all the negativity toward the engine builder contests

It’s the scoring! Taking the area under the HP curve is misleading. If you run an engine where you set the transbrake at 5000 off the line and shift at 7000-8000 then mostly what you care about is how much power you’re producing around your shift point.

I would hope they are also making allowances for engine displacement.

What about all the guys that foot brake?

Torque Converters do flash! And if you want a better ET you should be closer to your power band for the most possible time!

All forms of competitive motor sports have the competitors working to keep their engines as close to the power band as possible. Last time I checked Formula 1 produced peak power at 19,000 (although they are currently limited to 18,000) so guess where they are operating most of the time? NASCAR, even with the tighter restrictions make peak power around 9,000 so during a typical race these engines continuously cycle between about 7,000 and 10,000.

The most accurate way I know of to compare engine performance is “Brake Mean Effective Pressure”. I’m not going to explain it because I’m lazy (plus I don't really care too much) but this site explains it pretty well.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/bmep_performance_yardstick.htm

Last edited by bwdst6; 10/16/13 05:37 PM.