Quote:

I doubt that very much. At least after 50 years as a mechanic I've never found that to be true. The wear doesn't happen while cranking it happens after it starts until it warms up.

Actually I think we are both right to a degree. What I should have said was that the max wear occurs during cold start, from the time you hit the starter until it's running and the oil pressure stabilizes. From then until it reaches operating temp I believe it is still elevated but not to the degree it is on a cold dry start.

If the engine doesn't start and you continuously crank it, it stands to reason the rings will take more of a beating because the cylinders get most of their lube from the rods as they fly by so in that case I would think excessive cranking would cause the most damage.

I do know that Caterpillar sells a pre-lube pump that runs off the starter motor. You find them mostly on stationary industrial type equipment. A separate solenoid engages just the motor which drives a pump and after say 10-15 sec of full oil pressure it cranks the engine minimizing the dry start.

Kevin