I really appreciate all the recommendations. The Holley has no choke- the guy who built the engine was adamant about it not needing one. Like I said, if I drive it consistently, it performs well, and idles down nicely after only one minute or so of running. It's definitely not a daily driver at this point in my life- maybe that's the problem. I've done the Stabil thing when leaving for Montana. I guess part of my frustration is the huge amount of time I have spent chasing parts, doing bodywork, sandblasting parts, paying attention to all the resto details, etc etc and then ending up with a problem I hadn't anticipated.

The first carb I had on the car was a new Edelbrock, I think a 1406? It had a terrible off-idle bog that we couldn't seem to get rid of. The Holley certainly runs great and did solve that problem.

I think part of the problem is that the Toyota spoiled me. I think 86 was the last year for carbed trucks. I have 230,000 miles on that truck with CA gas and the carb has never been rebuilt. I don't really understand carbs, but I did take it apart to replace a defective float, and again to replace an altitude sensing diaphragm. But I really don't get the theory. I just R & R.

Sorry for coming across so hostile to the Holley. Just venting.