Quote:

Quote:

So, explain to me Mr. csr carb man, why my Toyota starts and my sacred Holley won't. All I want to know.

Like I said above the Holley is probably empty of fuel and the Toyota carb is not. There could be several reasons for this, but most likely the Holley is leaking the fuel out. There are some things that need to be confirmed, but the simple solution is an electric pump. Modern fuels are more prone to evaporation so today's gas will make the problem worse.

The emissions carbs tended to have valves that would close so the carb bowls were not open to atmosphere when the engine was sitting. Your holley carb would not have this feature, causing the fuel to evaporate out of your carb over time. Also the carb could be slowly leaking internally. Whatever the cause, the result is empty fuel bowls in your holley after it's been sitting for a while. This means you have to do a bunch of cranking before the stock mechanical fuel pump can refill the carb bowls enough to provide fuel to fire it. Going to an electric fuel pump is a good solution. I've converted my carbed vehicles to electric fuel pump and never looked back. Just leave the key in the run position for a few seconds for the carb to refill, then pump the gas and hit the key and she fires up like you drove it yesterday.

When you go to install the electric fuel pump, there are two things to keep in mind. One, the fuel pump should be back near the tank so the fuel is pressurized for the whole run, not being sucked like the stock mechanical pump does. Second, you don't want to bolt the pump direct to your car, it needs to be isolated with rubber or foam with no bolts going through the pump body to the car. Failing to mount the pump this way will make for a noisy pump as the sound is amplified by the pump vibrating against your car.

If you check out summit's website they have a variety of pumps in the 80-100 dollar range that would suit your needs just fine. Summit, holley or carter brand pumps in that price range.